Starting at Work
Jobcentre Plus is a Government agency which exists to help people find work. They also pay benefits to people who are entitled to them while they are looking for work. They provide a wide range of advice and support to help you get a job.
If you want to contact Jobcentre Plus and English is not your first language, you can
- Use your own interpreter
- Ask Jobcentre Plus for an interpreter
Use your own interpreter
You can ask a friend or someone else in your family to interpret.
Before deciding who to ask, remember:
- Your interpreter should be aged 16 or over (the only type of information Jobcentre Plus can accept if a child is interpreting for you is to confirm your name, address and the language you speak)
- They should be able to speak in both your language and English
- Whoever you choose will be translating questions and giving information about your personal details and finances, so it should be someone you trust with this information
- Your interpreter should only translate the questions Jobcentre Plus ask you, and the answers you give. They must not try to answer the questions for you.
Ask Jobcentre Plus to arrange for an interpreter
You will need to explain to Jobcentre Plus which language you need. It may help to have someone with you who can speak both your language and English so that Jobcentre Plus can understand what type of interpreter to arrange.
Jobcentre Plus will try to arrange an interpreter within one working day. If your interview or phone call is urgent, Jobcentre Plus can usually arrange a telephone interpreting service straight away.
Jobcentre Plus can also help you fill in any forms.
Contact number for work
There are two main telephone numbers for Jobcentre Plus. Even if you want Jobcentre Plus to arrange for an interpreter for you, you will need to have some way of explaining to Jobcentre Plus which language you speak. If you are looking for work, call Jobcentre Plus to find out what jobs are available.
Telephone Jobcentre Plus, telephone: 084 5606 0234 between Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm.
To claim benefit
If you want to make a new claim for benefit:
Telephone Jobcentre Plus, telephone: 080 0055 6688. Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm