The Law and Domestic Violence

The Law and Domestic Violence

Bookmark and Share

A person who commits domestic violence against another, can be prosecuted under British Law.

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence can mean different things. It can mean physical violence, for example, your partner hits you. It can mean sexual violence, for example, rape. It can also mean verbal abuse, for example, your partner shouts at you and threatens you.

Both women and men experience domestic violence. It can also involve violence between parents and children.

What you can do

Contact the police. The police treat domestic violence very seriously and they will take action to protect you. In an emergency call 999

If it is not an emergency, you can contact your local police station and discuss your situation with them. Telephone: 0845 045 4545

You can contact an independent organisation such as the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) or Southampton Women´s Aid and ask for help and advice. They can also explain what the law says about domestic violence. You may want to talk about different options which include:

  • Try to stop the violence and stay with the person who is harming you.
  • Leave home temporarily.
  • Leave home permanently.
  • Stay in the present home and get the person who is harming you to leave.
  • Take legal action.

Both police and social workers will make sure that you get the help you need. They can put you in touch with volunteer organisations who provide refuge accommodation where you´ll be safe. However be aware that access to refuge accommodation may be dependant on your immigration status. For example: that you are living or working in the UK legally or you are paying National Insurance contributions.

Where to get help

Safer Communities Team, Southampton City Council

Telephone: 023 8083 3071


Local agencies

Chinese Information and Advice Centre: 023 7462 1281

EU Welcome

EU Welcome provides help and support to people from the new countries of the European Union. They can direct people to relevant services and can work in English, Polish and other European languages

Telephone: 07786 392886

Southampton Citizen´s Advice Bureau

3 King´s Park Road
SO15 2AT
Telephone: 023 80223659

Southampton Women´s Aid 023 8033 8881

South Hampshire Women’s Refuge 023 8063 7550

National agencies and websites

Refugee Council

Muslim Womens Helpline

A telephone counselling service of all Muslim women, regardless of ethnicity.
Telephone: 020 8904 8193