Your Home and Recycling
It is important to everyone that you recycle as much of your rubbish as possible. To make that easier we have recycling bins. Recycling saves energy and protects the environment. For example, plastic and metal is reused to make new bottles and tins.
How do I recycle?
Every house has a recycling bin to collect just things that will be recycled.
Recycling bins have blue lids and are emptied every two weeks.
What do I put in the recycling bins?
In the bin with the blue lid you can save
- Tins and cans (please rinse with water first).
- Plastic bottles.
- Card and cardboard.
You will find recycling bins in your local area for other items, such as glass bottles and clothes.
What do I put in rubbish bins?
- All other rubbish is put in bins with green lids.
- This is rubbish that cannot be recycled such as food waste, black sacks, carrier bags and plastic packaging.
- Green rubbish bins are emptied every week.
- Please place bins by your gate next to the pavement – but only on the day of collection or the night before depending on what time your bins are emptied.
Find out your collection day on www.southampton.gov.uk
or freephone Actionline 080 0519 1919